Monday, July 25, 2005

lost
As each day goes by, the feeling grows stronger. In the past month or so, this strange emptiness has taken root in my heart, and it slowly, very slowly gnaws at the core of my being. I don't know what's wrong. But sometimes i just sit there, not motivated to do anything. I am loathe to move, to eat, to enjoy the sunshine. I sometimes feel like life has lost its meaning. Why am i here? Where is the joy in living where i am now? What am i trying to accomplish? I feel lost. Not having anything to look forward to each and everyday except for the day i finish my PhD and return home. Home. So close to my heart, yet so many thousands of miles away. but then again, I'm not ready to go home. I want to live life to the fullest, experience all that i can, and receive the best training in the sciences as possible. Yet, alarms are sounding.. well, not really. Actually, nothing is sounding. It feels likes a vast, empty vacuum yearning to be filled.

I think i'm just tired. Tired of doing it all on my own. Motivating myself, making decisions on what to do, where to go. Seeking out new things to try, meeting new acquaintances but making few lasting friends. Moving from city to city, dealing with any problems that crop up. Exploring a new city, discovering its beautiful secrets but not having anyone to share them with...

It's been five years. I've been away five long years from all the people that matter. I've seen so much and learnt so much that I would never have had I remained in Singapore. But now that I know how much there is out there, and that i've seen how other people lead their lives, comes the realization that so much is lacking in mine...

I've been dealing with so much crap recently. god knows how much money i've wasted in bills, parking tickets, rent and the such. The housing search took freaking long and uncovered some problems with my credit..which leads back to the money issue. Someone put a dent in my car and drove off (i suddenly noticed its appearance one morning). Add to that a broken refrigerator, and worse, clogged kitchen pipes which caused water to backflow into my apartment, flooding the kitchen floor.. gross. This doesn't help my studying for the PhD quals, which is scheduled for next week. Too many shitty things at once makes xiao an unhappy person.

I need to change my attitude before i screw up the exam. Everyday i sit in front of the computer (as i am now), willing myself to study, but not moving an inch towards the books. There's so much more to study.. right now, i feel like doomsday is approaching, but i'm not doing anything to salvage the situation. Ha. I feel like yelling at myself to "WAKE UP!"

But i have faith that everything will be better soon. Thanks to Kat, i feel like I have some semblance of a personal life. Thanks for involving me in your life, and for sacrificing some of your precious 'alone time'. Also, boon will soon be in Boston for a visit, and i'll be more than happy to show her around boston. Then comes a much awaited trip back home. A chance to spend some quality time with family and friends and really recharge my draining energy. Perhaps most importantly, D will be flying back to the US with me....a dream come true.

Give me a month to bounce back. Life will be good again. Hear me roar.

4 comments:

xiao said...

Thanks dude.. I think it's mostly exam stress ba. Haven't really had time to unwind. Looking forward to going home. Hope to meet up ya?

Anonymous said...

After trying out many many times, i manage to find your blog leh. For some reason, i tried anglefish, anglesfish,angiefish...

Err..i think I should be the one who should say that. Who knows that small, demure xiao has so much muscle to help me carry those bags....and of course at midnight, who to call but mugging xiao. Hope you dun sleep too early after your exam is over =p

xiao said...

hey, i'm really glad we got to know each other better without those pesky guys around..haha. Anywez, feel free to call, especially when food is involved. =P sorry abt the no-alcohol policy though. *wink*

Anonymous said...

yo xiao...
hang on there ya! when darryl gets there, get him to settle the pipes, the dent in the car, the fridge ya? :) and when u are back, we will all be there at ya call man!anytime, anywhere..to eat good food, to sit down for a good cup of coffee to chill out, to sit by the sea breeze and listen to the ABC...:) hehs i noe u hope we will come and visit u too, trust me i so wish to too!well, lets hope 4D/ Toto will be kind to us one day den we will fly there strgt ya?!

good luck for ur exams prep...xiao can do it!!

kok